Profile of the Minister of Finance
Hon. Nhlanhla Musa Nene, MP
- Date of Birth: 05 December 1958
- Married and has three dependants
Academic Career/Positions/Memberships/Other Activities
- Re-appointed as Minister of Finance February 2018 to date
- Appointed Minister of Finance in May 2014 – December 2015
- Deputy Minister of Finance of the Republic of South Africa from 5 November 2008 – May 2014.
- Member of the Local Organising Committee (LOC) for Orange African Nations Championship South Africa 2014
- Member of the Local Organising Committee (LOC) for the FIFA 2010 Soccer World Cup.
- Member of the Local Organising Committee (LOC) for Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON)
- Chairperson of the Portfolio Committee on Finance from August 2005 until 4 November 2008.
- Co-Chairperson of the Joint Budget Committee from October 2002 until August 2005
- Member of Parliament since June 1999.
- Chairperson of the Public Investment Corporation from 2008 -2014
- Chairperson of Ntunjambili Hospital Board
- Resident Advisor at Thebe Investment
- Non-Executive Director at Allan-Gray
- Active in student politics since 1979
- Organised the first ever strike in the financial industry under the banner of SACCAWU in 1990 while still at Metropolitan Life Insurance Company.
- Shop steward from 1990 until 1995 and led a negotiation team for “Better Working Conditions”.
- Chairperson of Ntunjambili Development Forum from 1994 until 1999.
- ANC Local Government Councillor and Caucus Chairperson from 1996 until 1999.
- Chairperson of Kranskop Policing Forum from 1997 until 1999.
- ANC Regional Secretary of Ukhahlamba Region from 1997 until 2000.
- Regional Administrative Manager for the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, for 15 years.
- Matriculated from Gcothoyi Adult Centre.
- Diploma in Marketing Management from DMS.
- Advanced Diploma in Economic Policy from the University of the Western Cape.
- Certificate in Economics and Public Finance from the University of South Africa.
- B.Com Honours in Economics from the University of Western Cape.
- Certificate in Micro Economic Theories and Applications and Macro Economic Principles and Issues from the University of London.
- Course in Evaluating Macroeconomic Strategies in 2000 from Williams College (CDE), MA, USA