Profile of the Deputy Minister of Finance
Hon. Mondli Gungubele, MP
- Date of Birth: 1 February 1957
Academic Career/Positions/Memberships/Other Activities
- Sworn in as Deputy Minister in Finance as of 26 February 2018.
- Currently a Member of Parliament who was until recently serving in the Public Enterprises and Communications Portfolio Committees.
- Member of the Gauteng Provincial Legislature after the 1994 democratic breakthrough until 1997.
- 1997 to 1999 took up the challenging and exciting task of Health MEC in the Gauteng Provincial Government. Mr Gungubele played a pivotal role in the transformation of the health sector in Gauteng.
- 1999 was deployed to lead Gautengs Sports, Recreation, Arts and Culture agenda. He held the position of Sports MEC until 2004, which was the same year that FIFA awarded the 2010 World Cup Soccer showpiece to South Africa.
- 2004 to 2007 became the Chairperson of the Economic Affairs Portfolio Committee in the Gauteng Legislature. He was responsible for political oversight and ensuring the Department of Economic Affairs fulfils its mandate.
- 2009 was deployed to Parliament as an ANC MP. He served as the Whip of the Justice and Constitutional Development Portfolio Committee.
- 2009 redeployed to the City of Ekurhuleni wherein he served a full 5-year term as the Citys Executive Mayor and Springs Parliamentary Constituency Office (PCO). Mr Gungubele impelled the Citys governance and administrative record to clean audits and other cumulous awards on good governance.
- from Been deployed at the Springs Parliamentary office in Gauteng Province and currently deployed to the Plattenburg Bay Parliamentary Constituency Office in the Western Cape Province.
- Became actively involved in worker struggles in 1973.
- 1980 to 1981 Teacher at the Falo Senior Secondary School.
- 1982 became a member of the National Union of Mine Workers (NUM) where he sharpened his political and negotiation skills.
- 1989 was elected to the position of chairperson of COSATU Johannesburg Local.
- 1992 took up the position of Chairperson of the ANC East Rand Sub-region, and later became the founding Chairperson of the ANC East Rand Region.
- 1992 was elected to the Provincial Executive Committee (PEC) of the ANC Gauteng wherein he served for 20 years.
- Member of the ANC National Executive Committee (NEC) as elected since December 2017 to date.
- Matriculated from - Nyanga High school
- B Com (Law) Degree from - UNISA
- National Diploma in Nursing from Lesley William Memorial Academy
- Other various certificate courses - Various institutions